BYOD Protocols 2017
In keeping with our Health, Safety, and Welfare policy, we maintain comprehensive Cybersafety policies and procedures to guide our use of the Internet and ICT devices and equipment. Students in Years 3 – 6 may bring their own digital device to use at school to enhance their learning, provided that the student and their parent/caregiver have read and signed the BYOD agreement before a device is brought to school. This outlines the expectations and responsibilities of each party. If a student breaches the BYOD agreement, they may lose the privilege of bringing their own device to school, and the school’s behaviour management plan may be invoked.
Year 2 pupils may bring iPads if available.
Children who have signed agreement from parents will be able to bring their digital device to school. We will have our technician on site to help us resolve any connectivity issues.
As devices are a tool for learning they will be used when appropriate. This will obviously vary depending on the type of learning taking place.
- Ensure the device meets the specifications as recommended by the school
- Minimum of 7.5” screen size
- Hold its charge for a full school day
- Recommended devices, if not already purchased, are:
- iPad, iPad mini, Chromebook, MacBook Air, HP Stream
- Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman provide excellent advice and service around BYOD purchasing
- Family sharing is available via your apple ID, meaning you can purchase an App once and share it across family devices.
St Albans School is dedicated to equitable access for students and will continue to provide devices for those students unable to provide their own.
Suggested Website for Safety Tips
|Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Agreement|
|Note: This agreement is additional to the student digital technology agreement. It refers to digital devices brought to school by students, and must be signed before the student may bring the device to school.|
|To the parent/caregiver/legal guardian, please:
1. Read this page carefully with your child, to check that you both understand your responsibilities
2. Sign the appropriate section on this form.
3. Detach and return the signed section to the school office.
4. Keep this document for future reference.
|At our school, we will:
· encourage safe and effective use of technology and the internet
· work within the school’s digital technology guidelines
· provide clear guidelines around the use of devices brought from home
· provide safe storage for students’ devices when not at use, e.g. break times.
|Student Responsibilities||When I bring my device to school I will:
· follow the school’s digital technology rules
· use my device when and where the teacher gives me permission
· only access the internet with the teacher’s permission and if an adult is present
· only use my own login and password
· be in control of my device and not share it with other students, apart from letting them see the screen
· charge my device at home so that it doesn’t need charging at school
· take care of my device so that it isn’t damaged or stolen.
I will not use my device to be mean, rude, or offensive to anyone.
|I give permission for my child to bring their device to school and I will:
· encourage them to use it responsibly
· take an interest in how they are using the device
· be aware of the content and applications on the device
· be responsible for the device’s maintenance and insurance
· keep a record of the device’s serial number and details
· contact the school if I have any concerns about cybersafety or other related issues.
|Note: This agreement for your child will remain in force as long as he/she is enrolled at this school. If it becomes necessary to add/amend any information or rule, parents will be advised in writing.|
|Please detach and return this section to school.|
|I have read this Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) use agreement, and I am aware of the school’s initiatives to maintain a cybersafe learning environment, including my child’s responsibilities.|
|Student’s name||Student’s signature|
legal guardian’s name